Around the WebJanuary 27, 2017 at 12:01 am | Posted in Around the Web, Art, Books, Comic Books, Conventions, Events, Marvel, Movies, News, Regular Feature, scifi/fantasy, Star Wars, Star Wars Books, Star Wars News, Toys, trailers | Leave a comment
Here is this week’s Around the Web news roundup of Star Wars and beyond.
- Mondo is offering a creepy Wicket print for diehard Ewok fans. For Carrie fans, they also have a Leia print.
- StarWars.com dished out some info on the upcoming Rogue One novels. First up, Rebel Rising by Beth Revis (416 page hardcover, May 2, 2017).
When Jyn Erso was five years old, her mother was murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents she is not completely alone—Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary in order to resist Imperial tyranny, takes her in as his own, and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to become a rebel herself.
Jyn dedicates herself to the cause—and the man. But fighting alongside Saw and his people brings with it danger and the question of just how far Jyn is willing to go as one of Saw’s soldiers. When she faces an unthinkable betrayal that shatters her world, Jyn will have to pull the pieces of herself back together and figure out what she truly believes in…and who she can really trust.
- Next up is Guardians of the Whills by Greg Rucka (240 page hardcover, May 2, 2017).
Baze and Chirrut used to be Guardians of the Whills, who looked after the Kyber Temple on Jedha and all those who worshipped there. Then the Empire came and took over the planet. The temple was destroyed and the people scattered. Now Baze and Chirrut do what they can to resist the Empire and protect the people of Jedha, but it never seems to be enough. When a man named Saw Gerrera arrives with grand plans to take down the Empire, it seems like the perfect way for Baze and Chirrut to make a real difference and help the people of Jedha. But will it come at too great a cost?
- The Star Wars Visual Encyclopedia now has a cover. The book is still set for an April 4, 2017 release.
- In other book news, Paul S. Kemp‘s latest novel A Conversation in Blood came out this week. To help promote the new book, Paul did a Reddit AMA you can check out here. In there, Paul hints that he’s hoping to do one Egil and Nix book a year and that the next one might be called An Answer in Blades. However, Paul also mentioned that the next book he’s working on right now is a tie-in novel. Could it be Star Wars? He is still under contract for another.
- Planet of the Apes: Tales from the Forbidden Zone came out this week. The anthology features stories by authors such as John Jackson Miller, Kevin J. Anderson and Greg Keyes.
Convention & Event News
- Pensacon is February 17 to 19 in Pensacola, FL. Star Wars guests include Timothy Zahn and Dave Dorman.
- Northwest Comic Con is March 18 to 19 in Tillamook, OR. Star Wars guests include Timothy Zahn.
- Star Wars Celebration Orlando is April 13 to 16, 2017 in Orlando, FL. Star Wars guests include Timothy Zahn.
- Force V is June 2 to 4 in Melbourne, Australia. Star Wars guests include Timothy Zahn.
- Origins Game Fair is June 15 to 18 in Columbus, OH. Star Wars guests include Timothy Zahn.
- SoonerCon is June 23 to 25 in Oklahoma City, OK. Star Wars guests include Timothy Zahn.
- IndyPopCon is July 7 to 9 in Indianapolis, IN. Star Wars guests include Timothy Zahn.
- World Fantasy Con is November 2 to 5, 2017 in San Antonio, TX. Star Wars guests include Martha Wells.
- SlashFilm has an interview with Matthew Wood and Christopher Scarabosio covering the sounds of Rogue One. Matt reveals who he voiced in the film. It’s a two parter, so here’s a link to part two.
- Jedi News has an interview with Paul Warren (Varmik in The Force Awakens).
- The Star Wars Show is back with a Rogue One special (you don’t want to miss this one)…
- An Episode VIII title revealed episode…
- And a future of Star Wars episode.
Movie & Television News
- The Oscar nominees were recently announced and Rogue One is up for two categories: Best Sound Mixing and Best Special Effects.
- Empire Online has an interview with The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.
- Rebels Recon is out for “Trials of the Darksaber” and here’s the official episode guide.
- King Arthur: Legend of the Sword has a new trailer. It’ll be out in May.
- Fans of Kung Fury might want to check this one out as it has a similar vibe, but this will be a full length feature film: Chuck Hank and the San Diego Twins. Should be out this summer.
- There’s a new trailer for The Lost City of Z which features Ian McDiarmid in a small role. It’ll be out in April.
Toy & Collectible News
- YakFace has pictures of the upcoming MAFEX FN-2187 figure.
- Pre-orders are up for the Hot Toys sixth scale R2-D2.
- Pre-orders are up for the Iron Studios Darth Vader.
Video Game News
- Star Wars is getting a Rogue One pinball game. StarWars.com has the details.