Around the WebFebruary 12, 2016 at 12:01 am | Posted in Around the Web, Art, Collecting, Comic Books, Conventions, Episode IX, Episode VIII, Events, Marvel, Movies, Podcasts, Regular Feature, Star Wars, Star Wars Rebels, Television, Toys | Leave a comment
Here is this week’s Around the Web news roundup of Star Wars and beyond.
- Star Wars artist Dave Dorman has a new sketchbook out and this time it’s focusing on Star Wars and The Force Awakens. I’ve got a few of Dave’s previous sketchbooks and they’re worth getting. Plus it’s only $20. But hurry because it’s a limited run. For those with more money to spend, Dave has a few TFA sketches up for sale as well.
- Newsarama has a preview for Star Wars #16.
Convention & Event News
- ConDFW is February 12 through 14 in Dallas, TX. Star Wars author Martha Wells will be there. You can check out her schedule here.
- Pensacon is February 19 through 21st in Pensacola, FL. Star Wars guests include Kevin J. Anderson, Jim Cummings, Dave Dorman, Troy Denning, Mark Dodson, David Prowse, Clive Revill and Deep Roy.
- London Film & ComicCon Spring is February 27 through 28 in London, England. Star Wars guests include Charlie Akin, Samantha Alleyne, Aaron Ayamah, Kenny Baker, Greg Beard, Neil Bishop, Paul Blake, Jeremy Bulloch, AJ Chimes, Andy Cunningham, Tosin Cole, Danny D’arcy, Kate Fleetwood, Chris Geden, Kieron Gillen, Jonty Green, Greg Grunberg, Garrick Hagon, Jessica Henwick, Phoenix James, Jack Klaff, Denis Lawson, Ian Liston, Mickey Lewis, Sandeep Mohan, Richard Oldfield, John Ostrander, Aidie Palmer, Mike Quinn, Marc Rolfe, Tim Rose, Mark Rutter, Davin M. Santana, Clem So, Mark Stanley, John Wagner, Billy Dee Williams, Doug Wheatley, Miltos Yerolemou and Timothy Zahn.
- The voting is underway for the Star Wars Podcast Awards. You have until Tuesday to get your votes in.
Movie & Television News
- EW has an update on the upcoming movies via a recent earnings call with Bob Iger: filming of Rogue One is “virtually completed”, Episode VIII has started filming, production on Episode IX has begun, and pre-production has started on the young Han Solo film.
- LEGO is doing another Star Wars special, this time called The Freemaker Adventures, and it’s going to be a series on Disney XD.
…set between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, will introduce all-new heroes and villains in exciting adventures with many familiar Star Warscharacters.
Told in the whimsically-charged style that audiences have come to expect from LEGO Star Wars entertainment, the series stars the Freemakers, a family of scavengers who build and sell starships from the scoured debris of space battles strewn throughout the galaxy. When their youngest discovers a natural connection with the Force through an ancient artifact — the Kyber Saber — his world is turned upside down, and he and his family are thrown into an epic struggle against the Empire to restore peace and freedom to the galaxy. Throughout their adventures, the Freemakers explore new worlds, meet new and familiar characters, and learn the true value of what it means to be a family.
- The episode guide for Star Wars Rebels “The Call” is up at StarWars.com, as is the latest episode of Rebels Recon.
Toy & Collectible News
- EW revealed the 3-3/4-inch Maz Kanata figure.
- The Hot Toys First Order TIE Pilot is now shipping.
- Spin Master will be revealing a life sized, voice-controlled BB-8 at New York Toy Fair. Now I’m not sure how accurate the “life sized” label is since they go on to say it’s over 16 inches tall, but it will still be a pretty big toy.
- On the other hand, Jakks Pacific is also doing a large sized BB-8 with there’s being 18 inches which might be bigger than Spin Master just minus the voice control.
- For the cutesy collectors, Hot Toys is doing Cosbaby Bobble-Heads.