Around the WebOctober 2, 2015 at 12:00 am | Posted in Around the Web, Books, Collecting, Comic Books, DK, Marvel, News, Regular Feature, Star Wars Books, Star Wars News, Toys | Leave a comment
Tags: before the awakening, greg rucka
Here is this week’s Around the Web news roundup of Star Wars and beyond.
- StarWars.com has a bunch of book info on upcoming titles you can check out here including new cover art and summaries. While the Art of and the Visual Guide are new news, Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka is. I really enjoyed his Han Solo novel Smuggler’s Run, so I’ll definitely be getting this one.
A companion piece to the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens character novels, Star Wars: Before the Awakening is an anthology book that focuses on the lives of Rey, Finn, and Poe before the events of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Nerdist has two animated videos, one of Jason Fry’s The Weapon of a Jedi and one of Greg Rucka’s Smuggler’s Run. They’re pretty cool looking, but might contain spoilers if you haven’t read the books yet.
- Aside from Star Wars, pre-orders are up for the Warcraft movie prequel novel by Christie Golden.
- Marvel will be releasing a Star Wars Movie Sampler on December 9 which will contain previews of their upcoming comics.
- StarWars.com has a preview of Shattered Empire #2.
- Newsarama has a preview of Lando #5.
- 13th Dimension has a preview of Darth Vader #10.
- If you haven’t checked out the Korean Star Wars comic, there’s a translated version you can now read on Webtoons. They’ll be posting more chapters every Thursday and Sunday.
Convention & Event News
- Timothy Zahn will be signing books at Book Bin East in Salem, Oregon on October 4th.
- New York Comic-Con is October 8 to 11 in New York, NY. Star Wars guests include Adam Bray, Jason Fry, Claudia Gray, Pablo Hidalgo, Adam Hughes, Matt Kindt, Andrea Mutti, Livio Ramondelli, Greg Rucka, Chris Trevas, Daniel Wallace, Chuck Wendig, Brian Wood.
- Star Wars Reads Day is October 10!
- John Jackson Miller will be at the Madison Public Library in Madison, WI for Star Wars Read Day at 2:00 PM.
- Discovery World’s Sci-Fi Family Day is October 17 in Milwaukee, WI. Star Wars guests include John Jackson Miller and Dave Dorman.
- The Arizona Taco Festival is October 18 in Scottsdale, AZ. Star Wars guests include Kevin Hearne.
- Star Wars author Kevin Hearne will be hanging out at the Rúla Búla Irish Pub in Tempe, AZ on October 19 and all are invited.
- MileHiCon is October 23 to 25 in Denver, CO. Star Wars guests include Kevin Hearne and Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
- Rancho Obi-Wan’s Galaween is October 24 at Rancho Obi-Wan. Tickets are on sale now.
- Mark My Words is November 6 at the Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford, CT. Star Wars guests include Jason Fry, John Ostrander, Michael A. Stackpole, Ryder Windham and Timothy Zahn
For more events, be sure to check out Star Wars Actors Appearances.
- Star Wars author Chuck Wendig answered some fan questions over on TheForce.Net forums. There are two batches of Q&A on that page. One thing that caught my attention was when Chuck said, “the response from the community has given me pause” in regards to writing more Star Wars after the Aftermath trilogy. That’s rather troubling and is a result of the extreme wing of the Legends fandom who are going out of their way to attack anything attached to the new canon. While I wasn’t a fan of Aftermath, I’d hate to see new authors being chased off by a small faction of loony fans. It’s not a good trend.
Toy & Collectible News
- Fast Company Design has an interview with Hasbro’s Star Wars Design Director. The biggest take away from the interview is the first wave of figures we saw on Force Friday was only a third of what they have planned. However, it’s worth noting that he’s a fan of the 3-3/4 inch figures and has two daughters who love Rey, who also happens to be his favorite figure. Both of those factors are good signs for 3-3/4 inch collectors and fans of the female figures.
- The Hot Toys one sixth First Order TIE Pilot is up for pre-order.
- The Star Wars soundtracks are getting a re-release with new packing and will also be available on vinyl.
- A new licensee will be making Star Wars pewter statues. Jedi News has a look.