The day has finally come and Marvel Star Wars #1 is out. But can it meet the hype? Click here to read our full review and find out.
Reviewed By: Skuldren for Roqoo Depot.
Marvel is raising the bar on cover variants with Star Wars #1. Below we’ve collected a gallery of the cover art. It is not a complete gallery, and not all of the artwork below is official covers as we have included some preliminary art as well as images of just the art, and some of the actual covers (complete with logos). Regardless, with so many variants and artists involved, it’s quite the gallery. Enjoy!
Star Wars #1 Cover Gallery
Today marks the launch day for Marvel’s Star Wars comic line with Star Wars #1 and Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Volume 1. Both come in variant covers, and with the wide selection with Star Wars #1, there’s no shortage to choose from.
Star Wars #1
Writer: Jason Aaron
Artist: John Cassaday
Cover Artists: J. Scott Campbell, Bob McLeod, Joe Quesada, Alex Ross, Sara Pichelli, Skottie Young, John Tyler Christopher and many more
Luke Skywalker and the ragtag band of rebels fighting against the Galactic Empire are fresh off their biggest victory yet—the destruction of the massive battle station known as the Death Star. But the Empire’s not toppled yet! Join Luke along with Princess Leia, smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca, droids C-3PO and R2-D2 and the rest of the Rebel Alliance as they strike out for freedom against the evil forces of Darth Vader and his master, the Emperor. Written by Jason Aaron (Original Sin, Thor: God of Thunder) and with art by John Cassaday (Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny Avengers), this is the Star Wars saga as only Marvel Comics could make it!
Details: 48 pages, Rated T, Price $4.99
Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Volume 1
Writers: Roy Thomas, Howard Chaykin, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy and Chris Claremont
Pencillers: Howard Chaykin, Carmine Infantino, Walter Simonson, Herb Trimpe, Michael Golden, Al Williamson, and Mike Vosburg
Cover Artists: Howard Chaykin and Greg Hildebrandt
Details: 880 pages, $125
Posted By: Skuldren for Roqoo Depot.
Latest Databurst From the 501st covering 501st Legion event news from January 14 through January 20th. As always, be sure to mark your calendars and support your local garrisons.
- 70th Explorers Garrison will be in Overland Park, KS for the Marvel Star Wars #1 Release Party at Elite Comics from 3:00 to 7:00 PM.
- Central California Garrison will be in Merced, CA for the Marvel Star Wars Launch Party at Red Sky Comics from 5:30 to 7:30 PM.
- Mountain Garrison will be in Littleton, CO for the Star Wars #1 Marvel Comics Launch Party at 5280 Comics from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
- Northeast Remnant Garrison will be in Scotch Plains, NJ for the Star Wars #1 Launch Party at A Little Shop of Comics from 4:00 to 8:30 PM.
- Old Line Garrison will be in Parkville, MD for Collector’s Corner Star Wars #1 Launch Party from 1:00 to 5:00 PM, and in Annapolis, MD for the Star Wars #1 Launch Party at Third Eye Comics from 7:00 to 8:00 PM.
- Southern California Garrison will be in Anaheim, CA for the Star Wars #1 Release Party at Phat Collectibles from 6:00 to 7:30 PM, in Ventura, CA for the release party at Hypno Comics & Games from Noon to 3:00 PM, and in Newbury Park, CA for the launch party at Arsenal Comics & Games from 3:00 to 8:00 PM.
- Star Garrison will be in Webster, TX for the Marvel Star Wars Welcome Home Party.
Tags: chris mcgrath, kenobi
Artist Chris McGrath shared a new Brazilian cover for John Jackson Miller’s Kenobi utilizing the alternate cover art he did for the book’s original release.
With this following the release of a new Brazilian cover for Timothy Zahn’s Heir to the Empire, collectors might want to keep their eyes on Brazil.
Update: The new cover for Heir to the Jedi is up on Amazon Brazil, and they mention that there will be 17 new books in 2015 and 2016 with Kenobi being the next one in February. Looking forward to seeing the new covers.
Posted By: Skuldren for Roqoo Depot.
Here is this week’s Podcasts in Review.
Bombad Radio: Episode 181 starts with a quick chat on 2015 before heading into their interview with Tim Veekhoven who talks about his journey in Star Wars fandom and how it led to him being a writer for StarWars.com and starting the Belgian Star Wars fan club TK-421. It’s an interesting interview. English is a second language for Tim, but he’s very easy to understand, and he brings a very eye opening viewpoint on what Star Wars fandom is like for international fans, especially in countries where English is not the native language. For that aspect alone, it’s worth a listen.
Coffee with Kenobi: A Cup of Clone Wars with Tom Kane features a nice interview with Star Wars: The Clone Wars Yoda voice actor Tom Kane. Tom talks about his career in Star Wars voice work, voicing Yoda, working on TCW and with George Lucas and Dave Filoni, and he even touches a little on Star Wars Rebels. The audio is a little rough as there is a lot of off and on background noise–which is common in Tom Kane interviews–but it’s still a good one and worth checking out.
Episode #28 has some discussion of The Force Awakens character names, an interview with Thomas Riddle and Wes Dodgens of Star Wars in the Classroom, some fun news in the Bearded Trio segment, and Steve Sansweet stops by to talk about the Rancho Recruiter program and share his thoughts on The Force Awakens. Kind of cool to hear Steve’s thoughts on TFA. Continue Reading Podcasts in Review…
Latest Databurst From the 501st covering 501st Legion event news from January 7 through 13th. As always, be sure to mark your calendars and support your local garrisons.
- Alpine Garrison will be in West Valley City, UT for Star Wars Night with the Grizzlies from 6:00 to 9:30 PM.
- Carolina Garrison will be in Greenville, SC for Star Wars Night with the Road Warriors from 6:00 to 10:00 PM at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
- Central Garrison will be in St. Paul, MN for the North Star Roller Girls Bout at the Minnesota State Fair Coliseum.
- Garrison Carida will be in Morgantown, PA for the WVU Children’s Hospital visit.
- Great Lakes Garrison will be in Saginaw, MI for Star Wars Night with the Saginaw Spirit.
- Midwest Garrison will be in Rockford, IL for the Rockford Symphony Orchestra tribute to John Williams, and in Peoria, IL for Star Wars Night with the Peoria Rivermen.
- Nordic Garrison will be in Lempäälä, Finland at Ideapark.
- Northeast Remnant Garrison will be in Sewell, NJ for Kotoricon at Gloucester County College.
- Star Garrison will be in Houston, TX for Star Wars Story Time, and in North Richland Hills, TX for the Brahmas Brahmacon SciFi Night
- UK Garrison will be in Doncaster for Digicon 2015 from December 10 to 11th.
- UK Garrison will be in Leicester for the Lundbeck Corporate Awards.
Next Databurst…January 14th.
*If you didn’t see the events listed for your garrison, send us an email at roqoodepot(at)gmail.com and let us know. We’re glad to add any we missed. For more info on the 501st Legion, be sure to check out their official website.
Posted By: Skuldren for Roqoo Depot. Shoot straight and troop on.
Tags: star wars celebration anaheim
For those heading to Star Wars Celebration Anaheim this April, you can look forward to a chance to see the premiere of Revenge of the Sith in 3D.
At Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, fans can have the first chance to see Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith in 3D. As part of the evening’s screenings featuring all the Star Wars saga movies, Revenge of the Sith will be among the 3D presentations that include The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Attack of the Clones was screened at Celebration Europe in 2013, but has been shown only very exclusively since.
Seeing all six released movies of the Star Wars saga, three of them in 3D, is just one of hundreds of reasons to attend the four-day festival rich with entertainment, first looks, interactive events, celebrities, panels, and more.
Posted By: Skuldren for Roqoo Depot.
Tags: joe corroney
Some Star Wars artists come and go, and some stand the test of time like the talented Joe Corroney. Starting back in the West End Game days, Joe provided illustrations for the WEG sourcebooks and campaign guides. Since then, he’s worked on Topps trading cards, comics, posters and magazines. Yet one of the interesting things about Joe’s artwork is the coloring. Almost all of his work is colored by someone else, which can add a unique spin to it depending on the colorist. Everyone has a different style and it’s surprising just how much the coloring can affect the artwork.
Below you’ll find an extensive collection of Joe’s Star Wars artwork–both colored and uncolored–from his early days at WEG all the way to the present. As we countdown the days to Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, we look forward to what Joe will come up with next. Until then, enjoy the beauty that has come before it. Continue Reading The Star Wars Art of Joe Corroney…
Here is this week’s Around the Web news roundup of Star Wars and beyond kicking off the new year!
- Edelweiss has listings for two new Star Wars Legends Epic Collections from Marvel: The New Republic Volume 1 (featuring comics by Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole, Steve Perry, John Wagner, Carlos Ezquerra, Ron Randall, Kilian Plunkett and John Nadeau) and The Old Republic Volume 1 (featuring comics by John Jackson Miller, Brian Ching, Travel Foreman, Dustin Weaver and Harvey Tolibao). Release dates are May 26, 2015 and June 16, 2015 respectively. They’re even up for pre-order on Amazon (The New Republic, The Old Republic).
- There are also listings for Marvel’s Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Remastered Edition (May 12, 2015) and Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back Remastered Edition (August 11, 2015) which feature the original artwork from #1-6 and #39-44 but recolored.
- Comic Book Resources has a preview of Star Wars #2.