Tags: Smithsonian Magazine
Continuing with our Doom and Gloom theme for 2012, I’m pleased to present you with ten scientific discoveries you’re just better off not knowing about (although you’ve undoubtedly heard of one or two of these). You can read the entire article here, but for those of you who don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of bad news, I’ll give you the quick and dirty.
1. The Earth is not the center of the universe. Okay, it’s a golden oldie, but it’s still one major significant discovery. It sure played hell with Copernicus’s life.
2. The Microbes are gaining on us. Blame it on the antibiotics.
3. There have been mass extinctions in the past and we’re probably in one now. Five, to be exact. Blame this one on the humans.
4. Things that taste good are bad for you. You’re fighting a losing battle here. We’re programmed from ancient times (and food scarcity) to gorge on salt, fat and sugar.
5. E=MC2. Brilliant equation but it gave us The Bomb.
6. Your mind is not your own. Humans are a mess of cognitive fail.
7. We’re all apes. That’s a blow to the ego — which is why so many humans are in denial about evolution. I’ve heard the apes aren’t thrilled about it either. They think they’re superior to humans…and they’re probably right.
8. Cultures throughout history and around the world have engaged in ritual human sacrifice. By and large I don’t endorse this, but I do know some people who could get behind the ancient Maya practice of sacrificing the losing ballgames team.
9. We’ve already changed the climate for the rest of the century. And it’s only 2012. Of course, if the Mayans are right, this is the rest of the century.
10. The universe is made of stuff we can barely begin to imagine. Dark is the key word here: dark matter and dark energy, and no we can’t imagine it.
(via: The Smithsonian Magazine)
Posted by Synlah for Roqoo Depot. We’re just a little ray of sunshine.
@StarWarsBooks announced that Karen Miller’s short story for the Star Wars Insider will star Myri Antilles!! Look for the story in Star Wars Insider #135
Posted by Corax for Roqoo Depot
In my experience, Star Wars fans are some of the most dedicated people out there. From memorizing the lines in all six films to creating movie-ready costumes, Star Wars fans have done it all. It’s because of their passion that the franchise has been (and continues to be) successful for the last 35 years. Whether you’ve been supporting George Lucas and his galaxy far, far away since 1977, or you’re just getting into this sci-fi classic, Obsessed with Star Wars is a must-have book for you. Continue Reading ‘Obsessed with Star Wars’ Review…
Tags: daniel wallace, jason fry, ryder windham
DK Books’ Attack of the Authors West Coast Tour starts today in Oregon. The tour will be hitting ten different cities along the west coast and will include authors Ryder Windham, Jason Fry, and Daniel Wallace. Each event will also include members of the 501st Legion, the Rebel Legion, giveaways and photo ops. You can find the full calendar and event details here on DK’s site or check out our summary below. Continue Reading Attack of the Authors Tour Kicks Off Today…