Tags: star wars galaxy
Star Wars Galaxy #8 hits store shelves today in the United Kingdom. This issue includes part one of The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire, part two of Darth Vader and the Lost Command, and the finale of Knight Errant: Aflame. If you don’t have a subscription to Star Wars Galaxy already you can follow the link to get one.
Posted By: Skuldren
All the latest Star Wars news
Yes today is Friday the 13th and for those who are superstitious, you better wear your beskar today and not step on any cracks (less you break a Hutt’s back!). Interestingly enough Friday the 13th occurs in any month that starts with Sunday. Every year has at least one Friday the 13th and at most three (this year there is only one). For those who have a fear of Friday the 13th, it’s called paraskavedekatriaphobia (which may also be the name of a Squib of royal blood). The earliest known documented reference to Friday the 13th in the English language is in a biography of Gioachino Rossini in 1869. As for the origins, they vary from ancient Norse mythology to the date the Knights Templar were arrested, and even a book written in 1907 entitle Friday, the Thirteenth.
Now for some popular superstitions you may or may not want to be on the look out for today…
Itchy palm: if your left palm itches you’ll lose money, if your right itches you’ll gain it (and if you scratch it you won’t get it)
Walking under a ladder: bad luck as it ‘awakens evil spirits’ by walking through the triangle
Breaking a mirror: seven years bad luck because the mirror ‘reflects a person’s soul’ thus damaging it
Opening an umbrella indoors: believed to bring bad luck
Knocking on wood: averts something bad from happening due to a particular statement you made that may ‘tempt the fates.’
Spilling salt: if you spill the salt, an ‘evil omen’, you are suppose to toss some over your shoulder to negate it
Black cats: crossing a black cat’s path brings bad luck, but this is generally a western belief. In England they bring good luck.
Posted By: Skuldren
The Motor City Comicon 2011 kicks off today in Novi, Michigan with a long list of Star Wars attendees. The event is a three day affair from May 13-15th. Some of the big Star Wars names include Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Julian Glover (Maximilian Veers), artist Joe Corroney and Chris Scalf among many others. Aside from Star Wars there will also be a couple notable film stars such as Sam Huntington from Sy-Fy’s hit show Being Human, and Tricia Helfer from Battlestar Galactica. If you’re in the area and would like to find out more details, you can visit the official site here.
List of Star Wars attendees:
- Peter Mayhew: Chewbacca
- Julian Glover: General Maximilian Veers.
- Lydia Green: played an Ewok in Return of the Jedi.
- Olivia D’Abo: voiced Luminara Unduli in Star Wars: The Clone Wars television show.
- Joe Corroney: illustrator for Star Wars Insider, Star Wars Gamer, Empire, rpg sourcebooks, trading cards, etc.
- Chris Scalf: artist for Blood Ties, Purge: The Hidden Blade, Legacy, and Invasion.
- Matt Busch: artist for West End Games, sketch cards, and You Can Draw: Star Wars.
- Justin Chung: sketch card artist and the model for Jedi Knight Kai Justiss.
- Andrew Robinson: cover artist for Jedi vs. Sith TPB, Republic, Tales, Underworld, and many others.
- Alex Buechel: artist for StarWars.com tutorials, Clone Wars, the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, Star Wars galaxy 5 – 6, wide-vision 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back.
- Bill Pulkovski: Topps Star Wars cards artist.
- Jason Gibner: painter misc. Star Wars art.
- Jim Beard: writer for Star Wars Tales: Falling Star.
- John Tyler Christopher: designer for Star Wars Miniatures.
- Rachel Kaiser: illustrator for Star Wars Galaxy 6.
- Scott Zambelli: illustrator for Star Wars Galaxy 6, and Star Wars: Rise of the Bounty Hunters.
- Sean Forney: artist for Disney/Star Wars Hollywood Weekends t-shirts.